May 27, 2013

Google Chrome initiating a google search for local urls with dots in it

I tend to modify my hosts file whenever I'm working on a project : it sometimes help to detect bugs (javascript related mainly).

Problem is, with Google Chrome, when I was typing local.something:8080 in the address bar, the browser would launch a Google search on that address - which is obviously not what I want.

After googling a bit, looks like turning off DNS prefetch does the trick : indeed now Chrome just load my local web page instead of searching on Google.

You can access this property in the browser settings. You have to display advanced settings.
(Below a snapshot - that's in french but hey - I guess you'll find the correct option)

This image shows the google chrome setting needed to be unchecked to turn off DNS prefetching

No comments:

Post a Comment